Friday, October 26, 2012

Easy Apple Pie

I'm just going to be honest here,  my apple pies at the holidays were Marie Callender's Dutch Apple Pies.

Pies are just one of my "fears".  I grew up eating probably the best pies around made by my grandma,  but mine were never even close.  It's one of those things I've just NEVER gotten right,  so I quite trying.

I still haven't mastered the crust (I still cheat there),  but I am working on them.  Since hubby is such a sport and pretty much eats ANYTHING I fix,  I'll just keep experimenting:)

Here's an easy apple pie filling I found and it turned out great.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

The crust I used is a package of Pillsbury 9 in. pie crusts.  You simply unroll one and put it in your ungreased pie pan,  how easy is that??  I'm still going to work on a homemade one though!!

For the filling:

     8 small baking apples peeled and thinly sliced (I used granny smith)
     3/4 cup sugar
     2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
     3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
     1/4 teaspoon salt
     1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
     1 tablespoon lemon juice

In a large bowl,  gently mix filling ingredients; spoon into crust-lined pie plate.  Top with second crust.  Wrap the excess top crust under bottom crust edge,  pressing edges together to seal; flute the edges (I also need some work here,  mine wasn't so pretty).  Cut slits or shapes in several places in top crust.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown.  Cover edge of crust with 2 to 3 inch wide strips of foil after first 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.
Cool on cooling rack for at least 2 hours before serving.  Serve with some whip cream or ice cream and enjoy.

I'm going to practice on a couple more before Thanksgiving.  Maybe I'll have them perfected by them.  Doubtful!!!

Still,  other than the looks,  it tasted GREAT!!!  The recipe is a keeper,  the presentation needs a little work!!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good to me!! Just keep trying...practice makes perfect :)

    ReplyDelete