Thursday, March 21, 2013

Strawberry and Cream Cheese Toaster Pastries

It's officially spring.  I wish the weather would have gotten that memo.  While last weekend was beautiful spring weather (while I had to work, of course),  this week has not been so cooperative.

With spring on my mind,  I think STRAWBERRIES!!!  I love ANYTHING strawberry.  One of my favorite breakfasts growing up were Toaster Strudels, the strawberry n cream cheese ones.  They were sooooooo good!!  So,  I thought I'd try my hand at making my own.  I checked out a recipe online and made a couple modifications to suit my taste.
Don't they look delicious??

Here's what you need:
        1 box Frozen Puff Pastry Sheets
        4 oz Cream Cheese
        4 TBSP Powdered Sugar
        1 pint of Strawberries cut into bite size pieces (or you could use strawberry jam)
        1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut the pastry sheet down the line folds into three rectangles per sheet. Mix the cream cheese and powdered sugar together then spread it on half of the rectangles leaving about 1/4 inch on the edge.  Then place some strawberries on top.
Not my best work,  but you get the idea.  This was my first try and also when I learned to spread out the cream cheese.

Now,  fold the half over and using a fork, press around the edges to seal the pastries.  
Take your fork and poke some holes in the top to vent them.  Brush the tops with the egg to get a nice golden brown.  

Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on your oven).  I would watch them carefully your first try.  I had some of the yummy juices leak out the sides:(

While they are baking,  you can make the glaze.  Combine 1 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and 1 tsp of milk in a bowl, whisk together adding powdered sugar or milk until you get the consistency you like.  Put your glaze in a sandwich bag and snip a corner off to pipe onto the warm pastry.  

   Again,  DELICIOUS!!!!                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment