Sunday, June 15, 2014

Smashed Potatoes

My family is a meat and potatoes type family.  They try my pasta dishes and for the most part like them, but they prefer MEAT and POTATOES.  I have to be honest though baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, and French fries get OLD!!  I threw in these roasted potatoes a few years back and they were a big hit, but it was time to add a new potato dish.  Hubby had seen smashed potatoes on facebook and asked for them. So, of course, I went to my favorite recipe source, Pioneer Woman, and found a recipe for crash hot potatoes.  I had to modify it a little because the kiddos are not fans of cayenne pepper.

These were an instant favorite.  They are now on the boys' birthday menus and frequently requested by hubby.  Here's all you need:
                              small round potatoes (I used petite red)
                              olive oil
                              kosher salt
                              garlic powder
                              onion powder
                              parsley

First, you need to bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the potatoes and boil for about 20 minutes.  You want to be able to easily stick a fork in them.  (I didn't take a pic of potatoes boiling, oops.)

While the potatoes are boiling,  drizzle olive oil on a baking sheet and preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Place the potatoes on the baking sheet leaving room between, they will spread out when you smash them.


Now, using a potato masher or just a big fork, smash the potatoes.  Then, brush them with olive oil, sprinkle some kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, and pepper on them.  You can adjust the spices and use whatever you like. 
 
 
Throw them in a 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown.  They are crunchy deliciousness!!

Yum, Yum.  Once again,  my hungry stomach took precedence over my picture taking.  I didn't remember to take a pic until they were almost gone.  This was what was left of two baking sheets full of smashed potatoes. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment