Thursday, September 22, 2011

Taco Soup


Tis the season for soup and I'm branching out.  The only thing I made prior to this was chilli and potato soup.  This past week, I tried taco soup (in the crock pot of course).  I had to do a bit of tweaking due to kiddos picky eating. The original recipe can be found here.


 Here's all you need:
               1 pound ground beef                                           
               1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
               1 onion chopped (I had to use minced onion)      
               1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, w/ liquid
               1 (16ounce) can chili beans, with liquid                 
               1 (8) ounce can tomato sauce
               2 cups water                                                       
               1 package taco seasoning mix
     
         Now, here's where I did most of the tweaking. The recipe calls for 2 (14.5 oz) cans peeled and diced tomatoes and 1 (4 oz) can diced green chile peppers.  Now, I know my family will not eat that.  We don't like cooked tomatoes and the kiddos don't like "spicy".  So, I used a can of tomato soup for the tomato flavor and just a pinch of red pepper flakes. 


In a medium skillet, brown the ground beef ( I put the minced onions in here), drain, and set aside.
Place all the ingredients in the crock pot and cook on Low setting for 8 hours. 


The kiddos and I ate it just as pictured.  However, hubby added cheddar cheese and sour cream to his.  Great soup for the fall season and cooler weather.

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! I've done it with chicken instead of ground beef, and that's pretty yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Will definitely try this one Jen!

    ReplyDelete