Friday, February 15, 2013

Honey and Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes

I am always on the look out for a new side dish for dinner.  Lately, it seems we're having the same old stuff: mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, peas, mac n cheese.  While all of those are good,  they do tend to get old quick.  So,  I'm always searching.

This one came about when hubby brought home some sweet potatoes from the store,  but didn't want them fixed the unhealthy way( the ONLY way I know how).  That's baked with brown sugar and marshmallows.  He was wanting a healthier version,  so  I started looking and found this one on food network.  Obviously it wasn't the candied variety I love to eat,  but since we're trying to be healthier and loose weight,  I gave it a try.

Turns out,  the honey and cinnamon were just enough. I thought they were very good, as did hubby.  The kiddos are a different story,  but they don't even eat my candied version,  so they don't count!!

Here's all you need:
       4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling potatoes after cooked
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Lay sweet potatoes out in a single layer on a roasting tray.  

Whisk together the olive oil, honey, and cinnamon then pour over the potatoes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
  


Roast in oven for 35-45 minutes until tender.  The original recipe called for 25-30 minutes,  but it took a good bit longer in my oven(of course,  my chunks were a bit larger than 1 inch).  Check often so as not to burn.


ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment