Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Struggling Along

UGH,  UGH,  and UGH again!! Most of you know hubby and I have 6 kids.  We've struggled for years trying to get out of debt,  decrease my out of the house working hours,  and continue to pay the monthly bills on time. 

 We discussed declaring bankruptcy several years ago, but came to the conclusion that we accumulated the debts we have and as Christians, we feel obligated to pay them off.  

THEN,  I go to the grocery store or Wal-Mart and stand in line behind a "stay-at-home mom" that is paying for her groceries with an EBT card or WIC.  My BIG issue isn't with the form of payment so much as the attitude and all the accessories that go with said "stay-at-home mom".  I witnessed with my own eyes and heard with my own ears a woman (I can't rightly call her a lady) argue with a cashier about why her EBT card should still have money on it because it's not the end of the month yet. I guess the card should just work anytime she wants it to, wish my debit card did that!!  I also heard a woman say, "Now,  why would I want to pay for these with my debit card when I have this EBT card"?  Yes indeed,  WHY???  The effort isn't even made.  They feel like they're entitled to it.  All the while,  they are toting their IPhones, Coach purses, designer clothes, and driving a new SUV.  Their kids even have IPhones.  REALLY???  

Where do we draw the line?  At what point do we stop handing things out, and start making people carry their own weight (so to speak).  This system is bleeding our country dry.  We are raising a generation of takers.  We have families that are encouraging young girls to have children to keep the handouts coming in.  We have illegal immigrants in this country getting "their share" because they have children that are American citizens (guess who paid for those??).  We have able bodied Americans collecting Social Security Disability,  who continue to do odd jobs "working for cash".  I could go on and on.  

There are cases wherein people are indeed in need.  I'm finding though that the vast majority that I come across are just people who are TAKERS.  

I myself sit back and think of all the things I could buy for myself or my family IF I didn't have to pay out $200.00 per WEEK in groceries or $500.00 per month in health insurance.  Hubby and I often discuss how much EASIER things would be IF we didn't have to pay for our food or medical care.  For example:  Princess' surgery (that she didn't have to have, THANK YOU LORD) cost us $2000.00 out of pocket before they would even schedule it.  Have we got that money back yet???  NOPE!!  And you and I both know it will be a battle all the way.  HOWEVER,  if she were on the state's system..............................................  

So seriously,  when it would be so easy to get things handed to us,  why do we continue to struggle on???

I guess because for us, it's the right thing to do. Obviously,  that's not the case for everyone. 

You've probably guessed by now,  I went to the grocery store today!! (Side Note: I spent under my weekly budget and still have plenty of food for the week) While at the store though, I had another encounter with a TAKER!!  It ruins my whole state of mind, I must say.  I really should work on that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment