Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Grandma's Waffles

I'm about an 8 hour drive from both my husband's and my family. So, we try to make our time with family special. We don't get together for everyone's birthdays, or get to enjoy Sunday afternoon dinners, or have grandma's at our soccer games. Not because we don't want to, we just aren't able with this >400 mile distance between us. However, there are some very precious memories made during those trips, and I'd like to share one of them.

My mom battled cancer for 16 years before she lost the battle in 2008( a little sad, but it gets better I promise). However, when we came in with the grandchildren, there were times you wouldn't even have guessed she had cancer. One of the things she always did for us while we were there was fix a BIG breakfast. It was more like a brunch actually because it was always around 10:30 or 11:00 before we all sat down to eat. One of our favorites was her homemade waffles. I always had the privilege of eating them, but until my husband and children always praised her for them, I had taken them for granted. I can honestly say, there were very few times in my childhood days that I had to eat one of those frozen, stick it in the toaster waffles, YUCK!!! As a matter of fact, after my mom fixed hers for the kids, they wouldn't eat the frozen ones anymore either.

The most amazing part, they're not that hard!!! Here goes:
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups milk
4 eggs (beaten)
6-8 tbsp melted butter (I usually use the whole 8, it seems to help keep them from sticking)

Mix all together and you're ready to go. I use my mom's cast iron waffle iron, aren't I lucky? After my mom died, that's one of the first things I asked for, because it's one of the first things my kids said they'd miss; "Grandma's waffles". If you have the cast iron, I do them about 4 minutes on each side, the time varies greatly depending on your stove and what you use to make them in. Of course, the electric waffle irons beep when they're ready ( that's what I used before the cast iron).
They always turn out a beautiful golden brown!!

Pour on some maple syrup and ENJOY!!!!


And for those of you whole like to add fruit, I always make hubby's with blueberries. I do his last and add about a 1/2 cup of blueberries. If you're going to do all of them with blueberries, 1 1/2 -2 cups would do it.

This one was mine and it was a little sparse on the blueberries. Hubby and oldest son put more in theirs. It was delicious none the less.

The best part, if you have extra (which I never do), you can freeze them and pop those in the toaster. If I had a waffle from the toaster when I was young, that was the reason. When mom made them on Saturdays, whatever was left, she froze for use to eat during the week before school. So, it wasn't leggo my eggo for me, these were/are much, much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment