Monday, July 19, 2010

Living In The Dark Ages

This title is courtesy of my sister-in-law.

I recently went to visit my dad in WV. I grew up out in the country, way out according to today's standards. I can hardly believe I grew up without internet, cell phones, or cable tv, and I think I turned out ok. My children had a hard time believing it too. Today however, my dad has gotten dish tv, so at least they had some tv channels to watch.

Today is the world of technology, even children who can't drive yet have cell phones. Now, my question is, if they can't drive, why on earth do they need a cell phone. I mean where are they going to be that they do not have access to a phone? That statement gets me in a lot of trouble, seeing as how most everyone I know gets their children cell phones. My poor children will have to wait until they need one, and by that I mean driving on their own. They aren't anywhere that they can't ask an adult to call their parents. Tough I know.

My brother however made the comment while we were at Dad's that he was going anti-technology. I got to thinking about that. I just don't see how I could, isn't that sad? I mean, we use our cell phones as our home phones, and who can do without facebook and blogging??? I do think however, that for the rest of the summer, the computer, video systems, and cable tv will be extremely limited in my house. I mean, they made it a week at camp without any of those things and actually had FUN. Can you believe it, fun without a video game or cell phone? Well, we're going to try it again at home. I'll let you know how it goes. I believe I will wait until it's not so hot in SC, maybe around September or October. I want them to be able to go outside and enjoy themselves.

Living life in the dark ages wasn't so bad. Life was so much simpler then, if you stop and think about it. I'm having one of the nostalgic moments where I wish things hadn't changed so much. Then again, my life is so blessed right now, I wouldn't change that either.

No comments:

Post a Comment