Thursday, February 10, 2011

Homemade Blackberry Jam

A little late, but better late than never. This past summer, we spent some time in WV with family, one of my kids and hubby's favorite things to do....... pick blackberries. There were plenty at his parents house so, off they went. Hubby made it a competition to see who got to drive the golf cart next. Anyway, his mom made blackberry cobbler and we brought some home and I tried my hand at blackberry jam:) I found a simple recipe that did not use pectin at http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/08/how-to-make-blackberry-or-raspberry-jam/

Here's what you need:

2 cups of crushed blackberries ( I also strained mine before cooking as my family does not like seedy jellies)
2 cups sugar
2 tsp lemon juice

In a small pan cook blackberries, sugar and lemon juice on high heat for 5 minutes and reduce to medium heat and cook an additional 15 minutes.


Skim the foam off and store in a heat-proof container. The jam will thicken as it cools.

Now, here is where I should have a picture of the finished product, and I'm not sure why I don't. But, I can assure you it's too late now. It was delicious and is long gone. I can't wait til summer and pick some more blackberries. Might try a few new recipes with them this year.
















No comments:

Post a Comment