Thursday, March 15, 2012

Homemade Taco Sauce

In my desire to make more meals from less processed foods,  I started making tacos the other day (without the box kit) and realized I hadn't accounted for the taco sauce that comes in the kit.  So, I got online and found a super easy recipe that tasted super good.  I even got a "that tastes better than any of the stuff you've bought" compliment. 

Here's all you need:
         3 cups water
         2 teaspoons cornstarch
         1   6-ounce can tomato paste
         3 tablespoons  white vinegar
         4 teaspoons chili powder
         2 teaspoons salt
         1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Dissolve the corn starch in the water then add all the other ingredients.  Bring to a boil on medium heat and boil for 1 minute, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat, cool to room temperature and serve.  


This is not a very good picture, I know, but it was good taco sauce.  This is only the little bit I kept out for our dinner. The recipe made a little over 3 cups.  I froze three other containers for future use. 


No comments:

Post a Comment