Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Fast Food Free Year???

One of hubby's requests for this year was no fast food. PERIOD!!!  While I have serious doubts about this resolution,  I'm trying to comply.  Hubby does have a couple good reasons for his request, and they are something to think about.  

Diet Icon Clip Art

# 1  The cost - The average family eats out 4-5 times per week.  At an average cost of $30 per meal (which is really low for our family, I'm basing on a family of 4 or 5) 5 times per week, in a year, you would have spent $7800. That's a good bit of money.  

AND

# 2  The Health Factor - A lot of places have a healthy alternative, but how often do you order that over the fried chicken sandwich, the double stacked hamburger with bacon, or the loaded up baked potato??  I know for my children and myself,  it's usually the fried chicken and burgers with a side of fries.  So, obviously eating a bowl of veggie soup at home is a better option, cheaper too.


So,  here we are in a new year with what I think is a BIG resolution.  I'll be honest,  I see FAILED written all over this one.  He even included pizza!  Now,  I'm hoping we still have the "non-fast food" options available on occasion.  I haven't asked for fear of the answer!!!  I mean,  every  once in a while I need a break!!  

So,  last night,  hubby and I headed off to the grocery stores (fabulous date-night idea).  We had the ad papers in hand along with a couple coupons.  Our goal was $200 for the week, which includes diapers and cleaning supplies.  We only purchased items that were on sale, and we still went over $20:(  However, we determined when we arrived home that what we purchased should do us for 2 weeks, rather than one, with only having to pick up a few essentials in between.  Here's the main things that helped us out: 8 lbs of hamburger made a meatloaf, meatballs,  8 hamburger patties, and 2 taco meals; 3 packages of chicken to do chicken fajitas, bbq chicken, and a Chinese style chicken (new recipe); a large sirloin roast cut in 2 for veggie soup and a roast. 

 As soon as we got home,  I made the meatballs and hamburger patties and froze them.  I made the meatloaf for today and divided up the chicken into each meal serving and froze them.  I think all in all,  we're ready for at least the next two weeks to be "fast-food free".  Though, I think the hardest meal will be lunch, Little Caesar's was my go-to lunch.  My kiddos get so tired of soups and sandwiches and we rarely have leftovers!  Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated.  

I'll keep you posted on how we're doing with the resolution and the grocery budget!!!  




1 comment:

  1. I think you can do it! Other good, easy lunch options would be a simple stir-fry or maybe taco salad/tacos.

    ReplyDelete