Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Vegetable Beef Stew

I will warn you,  this recipe takes most of the day to cook,  however,  the actual prep time is minimal.  PLUS,  it's worth the effort. This was my mom's recipe, or at least how I watched her make it growing up (I'm not sure she ever used a recipe).  

This is the only bowl I could catch a picture of. The others were gulped down too fast.  I have to admit,  I didn't take pictures of the process.  I have to get better at that.  The process is easy enough though, that you can follow without pictures.  

So,  let's get started.  Here's what you need:
            a small roast (I try to use a 3-4 pound)
            garlic salt
            onion powder
            marjoram 
            6-7 medium potatoes
            2 lb bag of frozen mixed vegetables
            2 cans tomato soup
            beef broth (I use the broth from the roast)
            beef bouillon cubes

1.  In the morning,  put the roast in your crock pot. Mix 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, 1/4 tsp marjoram, and pepper to taste and pour on top of the roast.  Then,  pour enough water to cover the roast entirely (this is going to be the broth you use later).  Cook on low for 5-6 hours.  The roast will just fall apart when you try to get it out of the crock pot.  

2. Once the roast is done, dice your potatoes and place in large pot.  Cover with water, add a pinch of salt, and low boil for 15-20 minutes.

3.  While the potatoes are cooking,  remove the roast and set aside to cool so you can cut/shred it to add to the stew.  Strain the broth and set aside.

4.  Once the potatoes have cooked, add the tomato soup, beef broth, 2 beef bouillon cubes, 2 tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp salt, pepper to taste, and 4 cups of water.  Stir all that up to melt the bouillon cubes and bring back to a boil.

5. Now,  add the beef and mixed vegetables (if you need to add more water here to cover the veggies, do so).  Bring back to a boil and let low boil for a 10-15 minutes,  then reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least an hour.  

Serve with some homemade bread, crackers, or your favorite sandwich. 

****You can of course adjust the spices to your liking.  I only "measured" them once. Usually,  I just add what looks right.  Also,  keep in mind,  this makes a very large pot of soup since I am feeding 8.  You can half the recipe,  or fix as is to have leftovers,  or even freeze some.  I personally think vegetable soup is better the second time warmed up.  I unfortunately rarely have leftovers of this recipe.  I would have to double this to have leftovers.  GOOD GRIEF!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment