Friday, September 28, 2012

Crock Pot Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal

Hubby would LOVE to have some breakfast before he heads out to work,  but I am NOT a morning person!!! Bless him, he is usually up and out before I've had a shower!!  So,  I've been searching for some recipes that I could fix the night before,  just a simple heat it up and it's ready!!  I found the oatmeal recipe over at crockingirls.com.  While I am not an oatmeal eater,  hubby and a couple of the kids do eat it and it's warm and ready when he gets up.  When asked what he thought,  he said, "tastes like oatmeal".  SUCCESS!!!

Here's what you need:
2 cups of steel-cut Oats (do not use regular ones,  it would be a mushy mess)
4 cups Water
5 cups Milk
1 large honeycrisp apple cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup

Combine all the ingredients in the slow-cooker and cook on LOW for 7. to 8 hours.

Now, obviously I make a larger batch than the average family and we had  a lot left over.  You can save it and warm it up,  but add milk so it won't be dry.  I would recommend cutting the recipe in half (but still use the whole apple).  The next time I fix this,  I will also add some walnuts for hubby.  You could add nuts,  raisins,  or other fruits if you wish.


As I said before,  I don''t usually eat oatmeal,  but I did have a bowl of this.  I thought it was pretty good!!  I will make it again,  only in smaller portion.

Another bonus,  the house smelled like I had been burning an apple-cinnamon candle all night!!!  You get the aroma without the danger of a candle.

No comments:

Post a Comment