Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Never Forget



September 11, 2001  8:48 a.m. - Flight 11 crashes into the North Tower, unbelievable.

I remember clearly I was going into the grocery store after having finished a long 13 hours at the hospital.  I was listening to the radio trying to keep myself awake for just a little bit longer when the news of the first plane hitting the North Tower came on the radio.  I remember hubby called asking where I was and if I had heard what had happened.  Everyone was talking in Ingles about the crash.  Then,  just 15-20 minutes later,  I got another call, another plane had hit the South Tower.  This was no longer a freak accident,  but a planned attack on American lives.  I quickly rushed home to my boys; a 3 year old, 23 month old, and hubby.  While my daily life was effected only by the news,  many were risking theirs to go into those buildings to save as many lives as possible.  Many heroes losing their lives in the process.  Others who had started their day with their normal routine were fighting to get out with their lives, many failing.

We called family in disbelief, checking to see if they had heard the news and making sure they were okay.  We watched as the horrible news continued on.  There was no sleep for me,  I was glued to the TV.  I watched in disbelief as people jumped from the towers to escape the fire.  I watched as brave men and women ran toward the disaster doing their jobs.  I watched and cried knowing their would be women losing husbands,  men losing wives, children losing parents, and parents losing children.  Families would be wondering and waiting from afar hoping to hear from friends and loved ones.  While I did not know anyone personally,  the events did make me stop and think.  For years,  I lived in a secure world where it was taken for granted that our safety on American soil from such an attack was guaranteed.  I had never thought about an attack of that magnitude to occur here.  That day forever changed those thoughts.  The attack had been brought here.  Where  would they strike next?  When would they strike next?

My children were either too young to remember,  or not even born yet.  However,  every year,  we spend a few minutes remembering those who lost their lives and praying for those who are given the responsibility of protecting ours.  May we never ever forget the horror of that day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment