Thursday, January 26, 2012

Earthquake Cake

I have recently become somewhat addicted to the Pinterest site.  I was browsing through today and came across this delicious looking cake.  Once again, my will power gave way and the cake was baked.  It was pretty good for a first try.  I learned a couple things and the next time I make it, I know it'll be BETTER.  But, I must say it was pretty good this time too.  Here's the site it came from.

Here's the ingredient list:
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Grease a 13X9 cake pan and sprinkle the coconut and chopped nuts on the bottom.  Then, mix the cake according to the directions.  Pour the cake mix over the coconut and nuts.

In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla with a hand mixer on low to medium-low until well blended (add the sugar about a half cup at a time to prevent a powder explosion). This mixture will look like thick cheesecake batter.

 Drop by spoonfuls over the chocolate cake batter, leaving at least a one-inch margin around the sides of the pan (this prevents the cheesecake from bubbling over).

 Weave a butter knife in an s-pattern through the batter to create a swirl, but be sure to not disturb the nuts and coconut — keep the knife very shallow. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

 This is where I made the mistake.  I swirled a little too much, putting the cream cheese mixture too deep in the cake.  It got a little soggy.


  But, as you can see, still edible.  They were into it before it was cooled and I got my picture.  It was pretty good!!  I wonder if I could divide the recipe and make two batches of "brownies"?  May have to try that.  I'll let you know, but not this week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment