Saturday, August 11, 2012

Not too Chunky Salsa

I LOVE Mexican cuisine.  It is one of my favorite places to eat and I've been trying a lot of different recipes to try and recreate those flavors at home.  One of our favorites is their chips and salsa,  but the salsa we buy in the jars doesn't even come close.  So,  I went on a search and here's what I found; The Pioneer Woman has the perfect recipe.

I broke out the food processor and got to work.  I was so busy and impatient for the final result,  I didn't take any pictures of the process,  but if you go to The Pioneer Woman blog,  she shows step-by-step instructions.

Here's what you need:
     1 can whole canned tomatoes
     2 cans Rotel tomatoes and chilles (I used mild)
     1/4 cup chopped onion
     1 fresh jalepeno pepper
            (the Pioneers Woman's recipe calls for the whole pepper, I did not use the seeds & membrane)
     1/4 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp sugar
     1 glove garlic,  minced
     1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
     1/4 tsp ground cumin
      lime juice (half if large lime,  whole if small lime)

Throw it all in the food processor and pulse 7-8 times for chunky salsa.  I don't particularly care for the chunky style,  so I pulsed 6-7 more times.  Here is what I ended up with:
  DELICIOUS!!  It had enough kick for me and hubby,  but not enough that the kiddos wouldn't eat it.  They are HUGE chips and salsa fans.  This will be created over and over again at our house.  I must note that this recipe makes a LARGE batch.  I took some to another family at church and still had this entire bowl left over.  We will be eating a lot of chips and salsa this week!!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment