Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot

I am ALWAYS on the lookout for quick and easy meal fixes.  I have a lot of mouths to feed,  but not always a lot of time to get the food ready for them.  I have spent a lot of time surfing the web looking for easy crock pot recipes and this is one of my new favorites.  First of all,  it's chicken!!  My entire family likes chicken, so can't go wrong there.  Next,  it's a whole chicken - usually cheaper to buy!!  Finally,  it's so simple!!  Have I mentioned that I LOVE simple??

Here's all you need:
     2 tsp paprika
     1 tsp salt
     1 tsp onion powder
     1 tsp thyme
     1/2 tsp garlic powder
     1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     1 onion
     1 large chicken

1. Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
2. Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
3. Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over.  You can put some of the spices inside the cavity or under the skin covering the breasts.
4. Put the prepared chicken in the crock pot on top of the onions, cover it, and turn it to high.  There is no need to add any liquid.

5. Cook for 4-5 hours or until the chicken is falling off the bone.
Well,  once again,  I about forgot to get a final picture!!  I had already started tearing that bird apart when I remembered:)  It was pretty good.  If you wish,  you could probably add some carrots and potatoes about half-way through and dinner is served.  I chose to do some noodles,  green beans, and corn on the stove top.  If you go to the link at the beginning,  there is also a recipe for making homemade stock with the leftover bones.  I will be trying that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment